Monday, February 12, 2018

Why this blog?

I became a christian educator quite by chance. I guess, sometimes, God really does have plans for us that we cannot see. 

I graduated from college, what seems like forever ago, with a degree in child development. Then, I taught special needs preschoolers for a few years before having our first daughter. At that time, my husband and I decided that I would be a stay at home mom. It was just the decision that made the most sense for our family at the time and what I felt I wanted to do. Along the way, we added two more daughters and I was the quintessential stay at home mom. I volunteered at their preschool and elementary school. I attended a moms' bible study at our church and volunteered on all the church committees surrounding children and christian education. I even started a mommy blog.  

Then, eleven years later, when my three daughters were in sixth, third, and first grades, God called. Well, actually, it was the Christian Education director from my church on the phone. She told me the current children's ministry person was leaving. That person was already the third in five years, so the position and the congregation needed some familiarity and stability. Knowing that I had a background in child development and that I had already served on basically every committee and participated in every event the person in the position would oversee, she asked if I would consider taking it on temporarily. It would only be for about 3-4 months as an interim so they could take some time to find a permanent person. After much discussion with my husband, consideration, and prayer, I said yes. After all, it was only part time and just for a few months. I could work my schedule around all the school carpool runs I needed to do and my time would be up before my kids were out of school for summer vacation.

That was February of 2013. 

After two years of serving as an interim and a search for someone permanent coming up empty, the church session asked me if I would take the job permanently (but, still part time) and, again, I said yes. 

So why start this blog?

Well, it didn't take long serving in children's ministry (even before being employed there) to realize that many themes and stories are repeated when teaching children about God. That's okay. In fact, that's great because young children learn through repetition. But, I often felt like I was constantly reinventing the wheel trying to come up with new ways to teach the same things. So, I wanted to find a way to keep a record of ideas and methods I had used. At first, I thought I would start notebook. Then, I though I would pin them all on Pinterest. Neither of those ideas seemed efficient, though. Then, it hit me. I already had a blog, so what if I just created another one. That way, I could keep track of ideas as well as share with others. 
So, why "Handprints of Faith?" As I was contemplating this blog, whether to actually do it, and what to title it, I was sitting in the living room of my house looking out a large window. It was smudged with handprints from my kids and my even younger nieces. The children weren't there, but they had left an "imprint" that made me think of them days later. I hope that's what I am doing with Christian Education - leaving an imprint that children will remember when I'm not there to teach them anymore. I hope that each little lesson I teach, no matter how silly or trivial, will leave on them an imprint of God that they will carry with them throughout their lives.

This blog will mostly consist of lessons I've done in preschool chapel, as children's sermons, or at other events like Sunday School. I will try to include links to coloring pages, etc. in order to "centralize" it all. Occasionally, I may also include additional posts about some trends in Christian education or thought on other topics  It will take time to build, of course, as anything strong does. So, if you don't find what you are looking for right away, please come back again. If you have a creative idea to share, send me a message or leave me a comment. After all, it does take a village, right? 

Blessings,
Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment