Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Teaching Children To Pray: Body Prayer


I truly believe prayer is central to a healthy, strong spiritual life. However, I also admit that prayer is an area of my own spiritual life that could use some improvement. As I continue to grow in this area, I am learning that prayer can take many different forms. It doesn't always have to be an eloquently scripted Psalm, but it also shouldn't always just be a "Help me!" shouted in desperation. Although both of those methods are perfectly acceptable, there are a lot of other styles that fall somewhere in between.

Like many skills, I think the earlier we start teaching children to pray, the more natural it will be for them as they grow in spirituality. However, we have to teach them in ways they can grasp and absorb in their youthfulness. Since young children often struggle to sit still, why not give them a prayer that lets them move their bodies??

This is a whole body prayer that I use in preschool chapel with 3-5 year olds. We started it at our first chapel sessions this school year when the lesson was about Hannah praying. I said it (along with the motions) and they repeated after me. They really liked it, so I decided to keep doing it. We have closed every chapel with it this year and, now, the children know it by heart. In fact, they frequently jump up and start reciting it with motions as soon as I say, "Let's do our body prayer!". I even used it in a Sunday children's message and got the whole congregation to participate from a sitting position! 

Like most things in life, what works for some might not work for others. Using this body prayer might not be a great fit for everyone, but it is a great way to show children that prayer comes in many different forms. Give it a try with your little ones! 
We were doing this body prayer in this photo! 


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment